Tuesday, March 29, 2011

practice recap & blog referrals

Tonight I was late to practice due to a staff meeting at work. I honestly debated not going since I hadn't been feeling great today, and I was still sore from yesterday's practice, but I sucked it up and went anyway.  We practiced a few falls and I worked on trying to get up on my weaker leg (still darn near impossible). Then, we did the dreaded 25 in 5, in which you attempt to skate 25 laps in 5 minutes. I managed to get 16 3/4 laps, out doing my personal best of 14 1/2. Slowly but surely I am getting there! Once I can manage to figure out cross-overs I know I will improve faster.

After that, the skating part of practice was over, since they needed more people to NSO the scrimmage the veteran skaters were doing. NSO= non-skating official.
It was really cool to watch a scrimmage from inside the track. I got to learn how to keep score. Thankfully I was able to take my skates off, because spinning around trying to keep my eyes on my jam-ref was dizzying! I really learned a lot more about the game, and I look forward to future NSO opportunities.

Now onto some blog referrals.

A friend of mine back home in Canada, joined her local derby league just a few weeks before me. She, unfortunately, broke her tailbone on her first night. But she has not given up, and in fact, spent her time off skates, learning how to NSO. I mention this, because she has just started her own derby blog (and I have to say, based on the single entry so far, it is more entertaining than mine!)
You can find her blog here: http://bruisedandlovingit.blogspot.com/
Please stop by and give it a look.

I was also pointed in the direction of another blog, by one of my teammates.
http://www.theroadtorollergirl.com/  I just read the entire blog in the last hour or so. Its another story of a girl's journey into the roller derby world. She has just past fresh meat status so I will continue to read her blog as a sort of sign of things to come.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, girl!

    Congrats on beating your personal best! That's awesome!!

    Learning to be an NSO has been so valuable to me. I knew once I broke my tailbone that I still wanted to stay involved somehow, or else I might shy away from coming back to derby. It's the best decision I could have made on how to spend my injured downtime as it has afforded me the time to learn so much about the game. Until I'm skating on a team, I will definitely continue to NSO every chance I get.

    I updated my blog hugely over the weekend, so there's lots of posts in there now to read. :-)

    =Lucy Purr=

    ReplyDelete