Sunday, April 3, 2011

ooh derby make it hurt so good!

On Thursday I was suffering from the head cold from hell, so I didn't skate. I still attended practice, and I NSO'd the scrimmage the veteran skaters had, but I just knew I wouldn't be able to skate.

That meant that tonight was my first time on skates in almost a week. It felt weird, but it also felt so good.

We practiced more falls tonight, which was great and I was able to get up on my weaker leg without using my hands. YAY for small victories.
I also had an opportunity to practice my crossovers, which I am slowly getting better at. I was able to actually cross my right leg in front of my left and then transfer my weight to my right leg but after that I didn't know what to do with my left leg. I'm sure I will get better at it with more practice.

Tonight we also did a couple of the most exhilarating things I've been a part of so far: Whips and push cars.
We began by skating in a pace line- each girl an arms length behind the next one. We wove our way between each other so the skater at the back of the line became the leader. After that, we used whips to propel us. There are two different kind of whips- hip whips and arm whips.
For hip whips, you grab the girl's hips and pull yourself around her, while sort of pushing her behind you. The speed you get from this is awesome.
But you get even more speed from arm whips. The skater who you are getting the whip from, stretches her arm out for you to grab. You hold onto her wrist and elbow, and she pulls you forward. These give you amazing speed!!

Push cars was a drill we did where we all got in a pace line, but grabbed each others hips, and the person at the back had to push the group like a train. It wasn't very difficult to be the pusher, and it felt so fast when some of the stronger girls were pushing us!

On another note, I did fall a few times on my bottom tonight. I definitely think I need to invest in some padded shorts because I feel that it is only a matter of time until I injure my tailbone. I really need to try to prevent that.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Derby Newbie!
    I don't know you but saw you posted on STM blog and decided to check out your blog. I am also a fellow derby girl but down in Florida. I just wanted to say that I really enjoy your blog and know how you feel. I joined my local derby team in July of last year and there were definitely days I just wanted to give up (especially practicing in the intense Florida heat). But now if I'm having a crap day I know derby practice is just what I need to make my day better, even if I'm exhausted and bruised at the end of it.

    So don't give up and keep working hard! Once you get those crossovers down your skating will improve tremendously. Good luck in your derby endeavors!
    ~Rosie D Ribsplitter

    ReplyDelete