Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Joining the Team

At the recruitment meeting we learned about the basic skills necessary for joining, the type of gear we would need, the time and financial commitment necessary to join and we were even able to strap on some skates and try a few things.

It was a bit intimidating at times to see these confident, powerful, beautiful women doing things on skates I didn't think I could ever do. But it was so exciting to be there and have the idea be "real."

The recruitment manager told us we were all welcome to come to the next three practices, to see if we would really want to join. She said it was something that you need to be sure of since it isn't a cheap sport to start in, and there of course some dangers.

Over the course of the next three practices we learned a lot of basic "derby-skating" techniques, practiced various steps, stretches and fitness exercises and talked a lot with the veteran skaters. My stomach, and thigh muscles have never felt so sore.

On that 3rd practice we were evaluated as to our basic skills and even though some of us (myself included) did not necessarily meet the standards, they still made the team based on effort, attitude and willingness to try.

In my experience so far, derby girls are a very accepting group. The girls on the team are of all shapes and sizes, ages and from many different backgrounds. I may be one of the most out of shape girls on the team now, but I am sure with my 3 2-hr practices each week I will soon be in the best shape I've been in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment