Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Fresh Meat and Derby Names

One of the coolest things about joining derby is choosing your derby name. You want a name that represents who you are, but that also is either tough, or sexy or funny.
For a complete list of derby names go here: http://twoevils.org/rollergirls/

Before you are allowed to skate in a bout, you must submit your name to the above list. You may be denied if your name is too close to someone else's, but keep thinking and try to come up with something creative and unique.

In my league, when you first join you are considered "Fresh Meat" and are not able to compete for 3 months, or until you can successfully pass the WFTDA (Women's Flat Track Derby Association) minimum skills test. Once you pass the test, you can submit your chosen name and number to your team (and the two evils site).
In the meantime, Fresh Meat on my team are assigned "meat names" by our "meat mistress" (new player coach). If a player is vegan or vegetarian they get a meat alternative name.
On Sunday night, we were assigned our meat names. I can't tell you how excited I am to write my meat name on the back of my tank top and to emblazon it on my helmet with sparkly stickers!
For the next three months (or longer if need be) I shall wear my meat name proudly, until such a time as I get to choose my own name.

No comments:

Post a Comment