Tuesday, March 15, 2011

And so it begins

A few weeks ago, due to a number of factors, I got the crazy idea in my head that I wanted to join roller derby. A couple of years back my much thinner and fitter sister, joined her local roller derby team and it sounded like she had a lot of fun. I never really gave it much thought at the time, thinking that I would never roller skate on traditional quad roller skates (as opposed to inline skates).

Fast forward to a few months ago, I watched the movie "Whip It" and thought it was awesome. (I've been in love with the acting skills of Ms Ellen Page since "Juno" and any film with Drew Barrymore is amazing in my opinion).

Then, about a month ago, a friend of mine posted on her LJ that she was planning to join her local roller derby league.

I had been thinking for a while about starting a serious (this time) weight loss / get healthy mission. I also thought that it was time that I met some friends that were not either coworkers or my husband's friends first.

So one day I looked up the times for open skate at my local skating rink. I posted on facebook to see if anyone would want to join me. A friend of mine did. Before we went, I watched a few e-how videos on how to "derby skate."
The day came and I met my friend at the rink. We laced up our rental skates and the moment I stepped onto the wooden track, I fell flat on my ass. I got myself up, shook myself off, and skated around the track tentatively. Growing up in Canada, I was used to skating on ice skates, and I had had rollerblades as a young teen, but here I am, nearly thirty, and it felt like I was learning to walk all over again.
After that first night, my legs were sore, but I felt good.
I went out and bought wrist guards before I dragged my husband to the rink to watch me skate again a few days later (he's a big chicken!)
Meanwhile, I researched the leagues in my area, and after emailing the recruitment for one of them, found out there was a recruitment event later that same week. I made plans to attend that meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment