Friday, April 8, 2011

Who Am I - Nice Girl vs Tough Chick

So, in case you missed it in previous posts or in the description of myself, I'm Canadian! This means I was raised to apologize a lot- even for things that aren't necessarily my fault. If we were in a crowded elevator, and you stepped on my foot, I would say sorry because my foot was in your way. However, one of the things the girls keep saying is "There's No SORRY in Derby!" I've heard it a lot lately, but last night's practice I heard it more, because I kept saying sorry for being in the way of another girl while we were stretching and doing drills.

If you asked ten (non-derby) friends of mine, to give you one adjective describing me, seven or eight of them would say NICE! I've just always been a nice girl. If you are my friend I will move Heaven and Earth for you. I've always put other people before myself, and maybe in some ways that isn't a great thing, but I was raised that way. We didn't have much, but my mom was always willing to share. Our house was so full of laughter and love from my mom's friends, that we kids didn't realize how much we didn't have. We always had friends and that was what mattered.

The philosophy behind "No Sorry in Derby" is simple. You shouldn't say sorry for hitting a teammate hard during practice, because you are supposed to be hitting them hard. You wouldn't say sorry to a girl on the opposing team would you? Hell No- you'd knock her flat and keep going.

I don't think that I will have a problem in that department, its just in general. I am nice. I will apologize. I just need to cut back on it at derby practice. I'm sure I'll continue to apologize to random strangers when we both turn the corner in the grocery store and bump carts, or when some idiot cuts me off (sorry I was in your way), but in derby, I'll just shove you out of the way and go on with what I was trying to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment